The Section coordinates the Department activities of technology transfer and general support to Developing Countries to minimise climate change impacts on territories and protect ecosystems, in the context of the UN Convention on Climate Change and within the frame of existing collaborations with Governmental Administrations, namely the Italian Ministry for the Environment, Land and Sea (IMELS).
The main functions of the SSPT-PVS Section are the following:
- providing, in the context of a Framework Agreement between ENEA and IMELS, technical and scientific operational support on climate change activities in those developing countries with which IMELS has signed a formal Memorandum of Understanding on climate technology collaboration;
- contributing, in the frame of specific agreements between ENEA and IMELS, to the definition, planning and implementation of technology transfer activities in developing countries, coordinating if necessary, the contributions of the Department Divisions;
- providing environment and socio-economic impact analysis of the decarbonisation and sustainable development processes in developing countries;
- providing technical and scientific support to IMELS in the planning of national activities in the context of the United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)) and European Union, with particular regard to the Climate Technology Center and Network (CTCN) and the Technology Executive Committee (TEC). In particular, ENEA represents Italy in the CTCN Advisory Board and strives for ensuring the participation of the Italian industry to the technology transfer international activities;
- supporting the Director of the Department on climate change issues, with particular regard to the technology transfer to developing countries.
All these activities are put forward in strong collaboration with the Section on Technical and Strategic Support and together with the Divisions of the Department and, furthermore, where necessary, with other Departments of ENEA.